APSHCL, or Andhra Pradesh State Housing Corporation Limited, is a government organization that aims to provide housing for the poor and marginalized sections of the society in the state of Andhra Pradesh. APSHCL is the nodal agency for implementing various centrally-sponsored and state-sponsored housing schemes in the state. In this blog post, we will discuss the role, functions, and achievements of APSHCL in providing affordable housing for the people of Andhra Pradesh.
Role of APSHCL
APSHCL was established in 1979 as a public limited company under the Companies Act, 1956. The main objective of APSHCL is to plan, execute, and monitor housing programs for the weaker sections of the society, such as Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Backward Classes, Minorities, and other Economically Weaker Sections. APSHCL also provides financial and technical assistance to developers, beneficiaries, and local bodies for constructing houses for the poor.
APSHCL is the nodal agency for taking up all centrally-assisted housing schemes being sanctioned for various groups for the state. Some of these schemes are:
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Urban: This scheme aims to provide affordable housing for all urban poor by 2022. APSHCL is responsible for identifying the eligible beneficiaries, sanctioning subsidies, and monitoring the progress of the scheme.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Gramin: This scheme aims to provide pucca houses with basic amenities for all rural poor by 2022. APSHCL is responsible for implementing the scheme in coordination with the rural development department and the district collectors.
- YSR Housing Scheme: This is a state-sponsored scheme that provides free houses to the poor and landless people in rural and urban areas. APSHCL is responsible for identifying the beneficiaries, acquiring land, and constructing houses under this scheme.
Functions of APSHCL
APSHCL performs various functions to fulfill its objective of providing affordable housing for the poor. Some of these functions are:
- Conducting surveys and studies to assess the housing needs and demand of the weaker sections of the society.
- Preparing annual action plans and budgets for implementing various housing schemes in the state.
- Acquiring land from government or private sources for constructing houses for the poor.
- Providing loans and subsidies to the beneficiaries and developers for constructing houses under various schemes.
- Providing technical guidance and supervision to ensure quality and timely completion of the housing projects.
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance and impact of various housing schemes in the state.
- Propagating cost-effective and eco-friendly building components and technologies for reducing the cost and environmental impact of housing construction.
Achievements of APSHCL
APSHCL has achieved remarkable results in providing affordable housing for the poor in Andhra Pradesh. Some of these achievements are:
- As of March 2021, APSHCL has constructed more than 28 lakh houses under various schemes in rural and urban area.
- As of March 2021, APSHCL has sanctioned more than 15 lakh houses under PMAY-Urban and more than 9 lakh houses under PMAY-Gramin.
- As of March 2021, APSHCL has completed more than 6 lakh houses under YSR Housing Scheme.
- APSHCL has introduced innovative technologies such as precast concrete panels, ferrocement components, stabilized mud blocks, etc., to reduce the cost and time of construction.
- APSHCL has received several awards and recognitions from various national and international agencies for its excellence in providing affordable housing for the poor.
APSHCL is a key player in providing affordable housing for the poor in Andhra Pradesh. It has implemented various schemes to cater to the diverse needs and preferences of the weaker sections of the society. It has also adopted innovative technologies and practices to ensure quality and sustainability of housing construction. APSHCL has made a significant contribution to improving the living standards and well-being of millions of people in Andhra Pradesh.