Luke Knox was a 22-year-old football player who died on August 17, 2022, in his dorm room at Florida International University (FIU). He was a transfer student from Ole Miss, where he played with his older brother, Dawson Knox, who is now a tight end for the Buffalo Bills. Luke’s cause of death remains unknown, and the police have ruled out foul play. In this blog post, we will look at some of the details of Luke’s life, his football career, and the tributes that have been paid to him by his family, friends, and teammates.
Luke’s life and family
Luke Knox was born on June 16, 2000, in Brentwood, Tennessee. He was the second of five children of David and Rachel Knox. His father is a pastor at Brentwood Baptist Church, and his mother is a nurse. Luke grew up in a devout Christian family and had a strong faith in God. He attended Brentwood Academy, where he excelled in academics and athletics. He graduated in 2018 with a 4.0 GPA and was a member of the National Honor Society.
Luke had a close bond with his siblings, especially his older brother, Dawson. They shared a passion for football and played together at Brentwood Academy and Ole Miss. Luke also had three younger siblings: LJ, Isaiah, and Nate. LJ is a soccer player at Auburn University, Isaiah is a football player at Brentwood Academy, and Nate is a freshman at Ole Miss.
Luke was majoring in business at FIU and had aspirations to become an entrepreneur. He also had a girlfriend, Hannah Grace Smith, whom he met at Ole Miss. They had been dating for over two years and were planning to get married after graduation.
Luke’s football career
Luke Knox started playing football at a young age and showed great talent and potential. He played as a linebacker and a tight end at Brentwood Academy, where he helped his team win three state championships. He was named to the All-Region team and the All-State team in his senior year. He also received offers from several colleges, including Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Army, Navy, and Air Force.
Luke chose to follow his brother’s footsteps and signed with Ole Miss in 2018. He redshirted his freshman year and played in four games as a sophomore in 2019. He recorded 11 tackles, two pass breakups, and one fumble recovery. He also played on special teams and earned the Scholar-Athlete Award.
In 2020, Luke decided to transfer to FIU to join coach Mike MacIntyre, who had coached him at Ole Miss. He was expected to compete for a starting spot as a linebacker for the Panthers in the 2021 season. However, he never got the chance to play for FIU, as he passed away before the season started.
Luke Knox’s death shocked and saddened many people who knew him and admired him. His family, friends, teammates, coaches, and fans expressed their grief and condolences on social media and other platforms. Here are some of the tributes that have been paid to Luke:
- Dawson Knox posted a heartfelt message on Instagram , saying that Luke was not lost because he knew he was with God. He also said that Luke’s legacy would live on through the lives he impacted in incredible ways.
- FIU Athletics released a statement , saying that they were saddened by Luke’s passing and that he was a member of the FIU family. They also said that they would provide support and counseling to anyone who needed it.
- FIU Football tweeted a video , showing some of Luke’s highlights and photos with his teammates. They also said that they would honor him by wearing his number 16 on their helmets for the season.
- Ole Miss Football tweeted a photo , showing Luke with his brother Dawson in their Ole Miss jerseys. They also said that they were heartbroken by Luke’s passing and that they were praying for his family.
- Buffalo Bills observed a moment of silence , before their preseason game against the Denver Broncos on August 21. They also said that they were supporting Dawson and his family during this difficult time.
- Dawson Knox scored a touchdown , against the Kansas City Chiefs on October 18 and pointed to the sky in honor of Luke. He also posted a picture of the celebration on Twitter , saying that it was for Luke.
Luke Knox was a young man who had a bright future ahead of him. He was loved and respected by many people who witnessed his talent, character, and faith. His death was a tragic loss for his family, friends, teammates, coaches, and fans. His cause of death remains unknown, but his memory lives on in their hearts.